Get a slice of the fruit cake trend and give this super cool melon design a try!
Email this recipe
- Before decorating your cake, ensure you have a : 6" round cake card, offset spatula, turntable, metal scraper, bowl of hot water, piping bags, No.12 round piping tube, No.8 round piping tube, No.4 round piping tube, spoons, bowls, serving plate or cake boards.
- Color 2lb of buttercream with Red ProGel.
- Color 10oz of buttercream with Green ProGel and place into a piping bag fitted with a No.8 piping tube.
- Place the remaining plain buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a No.4 piping tube.
- Secure a layer of cake onto the 6” cake card with a small amount of Red buttercream. Layer on top with Red buttercream (approximately 2oz). Stack the next layer of cake and repeat until all layers are stacked. Crumb coat with Red buttercream and chill.
- Place the remaining Red buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a No.12 piping tube.
- Place the cake onto a turntable. Starting with Green, pipe 2 bands of buttercream around the base of the cake. Pipe a band of plain buttercream above. Fill in the rest of the cake to the top with bands of Red buttercream.
- Heat the scraper in a bowl of hot water, dry and scrape around the cake to neaten. Fill in any gaps and repeat until cake is smooth. Neaten off the top and chill.
- For the seeds, attach the dark chocolate chips to the red of the watermelon to finish. Serve on a serving plate or cake board.