Valentine’s Day Cupcakes Recipe
Email this recipe
- Create a small hole in the centre of each pre-made cupcake and fill with jam (optional).
- Pipe a thin layer of buttercream on each of the cupcakes and spread to form a flat surface.
- Cut 0.5lb from your pack of White Ready to Roll Fondant Icing and knead until pliable. Store your remaining fondant in an air-tight container. Pin the fondant out on a clean dry surface, lightly dusted with icing sugar. Cut out a circle the same size as the top of the cupcake and place over the prepared cupcake top. Smooth gently being careful not to press down too hard.
- For a red-topped cupcake, repeat this process using the Red Ready to Roll Fondant Icing instead of white.
- To make the envelope, knead 0.51b of the White Gum Paste until pliable, storing the rest in an air-tight container. Pin out the Gum Paste on a clean dry surface, lightly dusted with icing sugar. Cut out a rectangle shape then trim one half to a point starting from just over half way down the long side. Carefully fold over the point to form an envelope shape as shown. Stick in position on a white-topped cupcake with a little cool boiled water. To decorate, cut out a small red heart from the Red Fondant and stick in place as shown with a little cooled boiled water.
- Knead the Red Fondant until pliable. Using a suitable-sized cutter, cut a large red heart and stick in position on a white-topped cupcake using a little cooled boiled water.
- To make the small rolled roses, knead the Red Fondant until pliable. Take a small piece and form a long thin sausage shape and cut into about 25 small evenly sized pieces. These will be used to make the tiny roses. Roll each small piece into a sausage shape and flatten lightly as shown. The flattened shape can then be gently rolled up by carefully using your index finger to form a little rose shape.
- Using the large heart cutter (as used in point 6) lightly press into the top of a white topped cupcake to give the outline of a heart. Use the paintbrush to paint over the outline with a little cooled boiled water to make the surface sticky, this will help stick the roses in place. Using a cocktail stick [as shown] gently transfer the little rolled roses onto the top of the cupcake following the heart line that you've marked. Repeat until the heart is complete.
- Finish with a few tiny pieces of Green Fondant to form leaves.
- Change the color combinations of the tops to add interest to this stunning collection of cupcakes.