Stars and Stripes Cake Recipe
Email this recipe
- Take half the frosting and the raspberry jam and sandwich the two layers of the smaller 6in cake and the four layers of the larger 8in cakes together.
- Cover the two layer 6in cake and four layer 8in cake with a thin layer of the remaining frosting.
- Knead 5lb Renshaw White Ready to Roll Fondant until pliable before rolling out. Lightly dust your work surface with confectioner's sugar and roll out the fondant to the desired thickness.
- Place the larger 8in sponge cake on a 10in drum and lift the white fondant over the cake, smoothing down the sides and over the drum with the palm of your hand. Trim excess fondant from the edge of the drum. To give a sheen to the surface, smooth with the palm of your hand.
- Knead and roll out 3lb Renshaw Blue Ready to Roll Fondant. Lift the blue fondant over the 6in cake, smoothing down the sides with the palm of your hand. Trim excess fondant neatly around the base of the cake.
- Evenly space and insert four long pieces of plastic cake dowelling into the centre of the larger 8in cake, ensuring that the smaller 6in sponge cake will cover the dowels when placed on top. Trim the dowels to the same height as the larger 8in cake using wire cutters or strong scissors.
- Gently stack the smaller 6in blue covered cake on top of the larger 8in white covered cake, securing in position with royal icing.
- Roll out 1.5lb Renshaw Red Ready to Roll Fondant. Using a FMM multi ribbon cutter, cut out strips of red fondant. Secure them into position on the four layer 8in cake water and trim neatly and the base of the cake.
- Roll out any remaining white fondant and cut out stars using a star cutter. Secure them into position on the two layer 6in cake using water.
- Add some red ribbon around the base of the 8in and 6in cake and secure into position using royal icing.