Simple Red Velvet Sponge Cake Recipe
A delicious Red Velvet sponge cake recipe, suitable for a variety of occasions enjoy on its own or with your favourite topping. 🍰
Email this recipe
- To make the cake, preheat your oven to 350°F/180°C, then grease and line three 8-inch cake tins with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cornstarch, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt, then set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 3-4 minutes). Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Beat in oil. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each addition. Add vanilla and vinegar and beat until just combined. Add Rainbow Dust Red ProGel and beat until colour combines fully. Add half of the dry ingredients and beat just until combined. Add buttermilk, followed by the rest of the dry ingredients. Do not over mix.
- Divide batter evenly between the cake tins. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool in the pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes, then remove from pan, place upside down back onto the wire rack and cool completely.
- Finish the cake in a crumb coat of your choice of buttercream, and chill for a couple of hours before serving.