Simple Chocolate Sponge Cake Recipe
A yummy basic chocolate spongecake recipe, delicious on its own or served with ice-cream or custard! 🍫 🍰
Email this recipe
- To make the cake, preheat your oven to 350°F/180°C, then grease and line two 8-inch cake tins with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl and mix until combined.
- In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry while mixing continuously. Add the coffee (or hot water) and stir until just combined, scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Divide batter evenly between the cake tins. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool in the pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes, then remove from pan, place upside down back onto the wire rack and cool completely.
- Finish the cake in a crumb coat of your choice of buttercream/frosting, and chill for a couple of hours before serving.